According to smartercomputing, Sandia, Texas is a small city located in the center of Texas, right on the border with Mexico. The city is surrounded by rolling hills and open plains, providing a beautiful landscape to explore. Sandia experiences a warm climate throughout the year, with temperatures reaching into the 90s during the summer months and dropping to around 40 degrees during winter.
The history of Sandia dates back to 1845 when it was founded by a group of settlers from Mexico. Since then, the city has grown to become an important hub in south-central Texas. Politically, Sandia is part of Nueces County and is represented in both state and federal government by elected officials who are responsible for representing its citizens’ interests.
The economy of Sandia is largely based on agriculture and ranching; however, there are also several small businesses located within its borders. The city prides itself on its diversity, as many different cultures have contributed to its unique identity over the years.
Sandia offers excellent schools for students ranging from elementary through high school levels. These schools provide students with quality education while also offering extracurricular activities such as sports teams and clubs that allow students to explore their interests outside of the classroom setting.
Landmarks in Sandia include historical monuments such as El Monumento de los Padres de la Patria which commemorates those who fought for Mexican independence from Spain during the Mexican War of Independence in 1810-1821, as well as more modern landmarks like La Plaza de las Estrellas which features sculptures honoring famous Mexican musicians from across Latin America and beyond. In addition, visitors can find some truly unique attractions like The Big Texan Steak Ranch where travelers can take part in an old fashioned eating challenge!
Males: 221 (51.3%), Females: 210 (48.7%)
Jim Wells County
Zip code: 78383
Median resident age: 34.6 years
Median household income: $41,786
Median house value: $38,600
Races in Sandia:
- Hispanic (61.3%)
- White Non-Hispanic (33.2%)
- Other race (16.5%)
- American Indian (4.4%)
- Two or more races (2.1%)
- Black (1.2%)
- Vietnamese (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (16.9%), English (10.4%), Irish (2.1%), United States (1.6%).
Elevation: 129 feet
Land area: 1.0 square miles
The population of Sandia, Texas is estimated to be around 2,000 people. It is a small rural town located in Jim Wells County in South Texas. The majority of the population are Hispanic or Latino, making up about 75% of the population. The median age is around 33 years old and the median household income is estimated to be around $35,000 per year. Most people in Sandia work in agriculture or related industries such as oil and gas extraction. There are also a number of small businesses that employ local residents. The town has a large number of churches and community centers which provide services for the local population. Education is important to many of the residents and there are several schools in the area providing both elementary and secondary education. There are also several higher education institutions nearby which provide educational opportunities for those wishing to further their studies. Sandia has become known as a safe place to live with low crime rates and a thriving economy that provides employment opportunities for many of its residents.
For population 25 years and over in Sandia
- High school or higher: 76.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 9.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 41.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sandia CDP
- Never married: 26.2%
- Now married: 59.6%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 9.0%
- Divorced: 5.2%
1.2% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Sandia:
- ALICE REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 25 miles; ALICE, TX)
- CHRISTUS SPOHN HOSPITAL ALICE (about 25 miles; ALICE, TX)
- CHRISTUS SPOHN HOSPITAL BEEVILLE (about 30 miles; BEEVILLE, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sandia:
- CORPUS CHRISTI INTL (about 32 miles; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX; Abbreviation: CRP)
- VICTORIA REGIONAL (about 88 miles; VICTORIA, TX; Abbreviation: VCT)
- LACKLAND AFB (KELLY FLD ANNEX) (about 106 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SKF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sandia:
- ORANGE GROVE NALF (about 15 miles; ORANGE GROVE, TX; Abbreviation: NOG)
- ALICE INTL (about 22 miles; ALICE, TX; Abbreviation: ALI)
- NUECES COUNTY (about 23 miles; ROBSTOWN, TX; Abbreviation: T53)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sandia:
- COASTAL BEND COLLEGE (about 30 miles; BEEVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,150)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-KINGSVILLE (about 36 miles; KINGSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,860)
- DEL MAR COLLEGE (about 38 miles; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,454)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-CORPUS CHRISTI (about 43 miles; Corpus Christi, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,282)
- VICTORIA COLLEGE (about 82 miles; VICTORIA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,511)
- PALO ALTO COLLEGE (about 102 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,623)
- ST PHILIPS COLLEGE (about 105 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,778)