Long Valley, New Jersey is a small town located in Morris County. It has a population of about 7,500 people. The town is situated in the Raritan Valley and is surrounded by mountains on three sides. The climate in Long Valley is temperate, with moderate temperatures year-round and plenty of sunshine.
The history of Long Valley dates back to the late 18th century when it was first settled by European settlers. Since then, the town has grown steadily and today it is a thriving community with many businesses and attractions. Politically, Long Valley is part of the Republican stronghold throughout Morris County.
The economy in Long Valley is largely driven by agriculture, tourism, and retail businesses. There are also several small manufacturing companies that have operations within the town boundaries. In addition to these businesses, there are numerous restaurants and shops that cater to both locals and visitors alike.
Long Valley has two schools within its boundaries: Central Elementary School for grades K-4 and West Morris Mendham High School for grades 5-12. Both schools offer a comprehensive curriculum that includes courses in art, music, technology, science, math and language arts as well as physical education classes for all students.. In addition to these two schools there are also several private schools located nearby including St Joseph’s Catholic Academy which offers a variety of academic programs for students from preschool through high school graduation.
As far as landmarks go there are many attractions to visit while in Long Valley such as Schooley’s Mountain Park which offers hiking trails and picnic areas; Hacklebarney State Park which provides scenic views of the valley; the historic Schooley’s Mountain Firehouse; St John’s Episcopal Church; Hacklebarney Farmstead Museum; Morristown National Historic Park; Wild West City theme park; and many more local attractions that make Long Valley an interesting place to visit or live!
Males: 916 (50.4%), Females: 902 (49.6%)
Median resident age: 38.0 years
Median household income: $79,262
Median house value: $231,600
Races in Long Valley:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.4%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
- Chinese (0.7%)
- Black (0.7%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
Ancestries: Irish (24.0%), German (21.6%), Italian (21.6%), English (10.3%), Polish (8.5%), United States (7.8%).
Elevation: 532 feet
Land area: 4.7 square miles
Long Valley, New Jersey is a small town located in Morris County, with a population of approximately 8,000 residents. The residents are mainly of Caucasian descent, although there is an influx of Hispanic and Asian populations. The median age is 39 years old, and the median household income is $103,500.
The cost of living in Long Valley is slightly above the national average. The average home price in Long Valley is around $450,000 and the median rent for a two bedroom apartment is around $1,600 per month. There are several restaurants and shops in the area that offer affordable prices on food and other items. The town also boasts several parks and trails for outdoor recreation. In addition to this, Long Valley has excellent schools that have been consistently ranked among the best in the state by GreatSchools.org. As such, Long Valley offers its residents an excellent quality of life at an affordable cost of living.
For population 25 years and over in Long Valley
- High school or higher: 91.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 44.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 16.2%
- Unemployed: 0.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 36.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Long Valley CDP
- Never married: 21.6%
- Now married: 66.7%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 3.1%
- Divorced: 7.4%
4.5% Foreign born (3.3% Europe, 0.6% Asia, 0.6% Latin America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Long Valley:
- HACKETTSTOWN COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; HACKETTSTOWN, NJ)
- MATHENY SCHOOL & HOSPITAL,THE (about 10 miles; PEAPACK, NJ)
- SEN GARRETT W HAGEDORN GEROPSYCHIATRIC (about 11 miles; GLEN GARDNER, NJ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Long Valley:
- TRENTON MERCER (about 36 miles; TRENTON, NJ; Abbreviation: TTN)
- NEWARK LIBERTY INTL (about 43 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Abbreviation: EWR)
- LEHIGH VALLEY INTERNATIONAL (about 47 miles; ALLENTOWN, PA; Abbreviation: ABE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Long Valley:
- HACKETTSTOWN (about 6 miles; HACKETTSTOWN, NJ; Abbreviation: N05)
- TRINCA (about 13 miles; ANDOVER, NJ; Abbreviation: 13N)
- SOMERSET (about 14 miles; SOMERVILLE, NJ; Abbreviation: SMQ)
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of New Jersey graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Long Valley:
- COUNTY COLLEGE OF MORRIS (about 15 miles; RANDOLPH, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 5,202)
- RARITAN VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 20 miles; SOMERVILLE, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 3,283)
- DREW UNIVERSITY (about 26 miles; MADISON, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 2,133)
- RUTGERS UNIVERSITY-NEW BRUNSWICK (about 31 miles; NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 30,649)
- DEVRY INSTITUTE (about 31 miles; NORTH BRUNSWICK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 2,897)
- PRINCETON UNIVERSITY (about 32 miles; PRINCETON, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 6,481)
- LAFAYETTE COLLEGE (about 32 miles; EASTON, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,218)
Public primary/middle schools in Long Valley:
- LONG VALLEY M S SOUTH (Students: 701; Location: 51 WEST MILL ROAD; Grades: 05 – 06)
- LONG VALLEY M S NORTH (Students: 687; Location: 51 WEST MILL RD.; Grades: 07 – 08)
- WALTER J. KOSSMANN (Students: 576; Location: 90 FLOCKTOWN ROAD; Grades: KG – 02)
- OLD FARMERS ROAD (Students: 545; Location: 51 OLD FARMERS ROAD; Grades: KG – 04)
- FLOCKTOWN ROAD (Students: 430; Location: 90 FLOCKTOWN ROAD; Grades: 03 – 04)
Private primary/middle school in Long Valley:
- VALLEY BROOK COUNTRY DAY SCHOO (Students: 111; Location: 73 EAST VALLEY BROOK RD.; Grades: PK – KG)
Library in Long Valley:
- WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $593,551; Location: 37 E. SPRINGTOWN RD.; 54,532 books; 5,960 audio materials; 2,433 video materials; 142 serial subscriptions)