Little Silver is located in Monmouth County, New Jersey, and is home to a population of 6,000 people. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in New Jersey. The town is bordered by the Navesink River to the north and the Shrewsbury River to the south. It is known for its picturesque views of the beach, boardwalks, and marinas. The climate in Little Silver is mild with temperatures ranging from low 40s in winter months to upper 70s in summer months.
The history of Little Silver dates back to 1667 when it was founded as part of Shrewsbury Township. In 1923, it became an independent borough and was incorporated into Monmouth County. Politically, Little Silver leans slightly towards Republicans but primarily votes independent or non-partisan candidates.
The economy of Little Silver consists primarily of small businesses such as restaurants and retail shops that are locally owned or managed by larger companies. Additionally, many residents commute to nearby cities for work opportunities.
Little Silver is served by several public schools including Point Road School, Markham Place School and Middle School South as well as Red Bank Regional High School which serves students from Little Silver in grades 9-12. There are also several private schools located within the town limits including Ranney School which provides education from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade.
Some notable landmarks include Monmouth Beach Bathing Pavilion which has been open since 1877 and offers a variety of recreational activities such as swimming lessons; Rumson Country Club which hosts an 18-hole golf course; Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park; and Sandy Hook Lighthouse which has been standing since 1764 and offers stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean coastline.
Population: 6,170. Estimated population in July 2020: 6,137 (-0.5% change)
Males: 2,979 (48.3%), Females: 3,191 (51.7%)
Median resident age: 41.1 years
Median household income: $94,094
Median house value: $300,400
Races in Little Silver:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.0%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
Ancestries: Irish (31.2%), Italian (26.3%), German (19.8%), English (13.1%), Polish (4.3%), Russian (3.9%).
Elevation: 38 feet
Land area: 2.8 square miles
Little Silver, New Jersey is a small borough located in Monmouth County. It has a population of 5,950 and a total area of 3.2 square miles. The population is diverse with people from all walks of life living in the area. The median household income is $124,846 and the median age is 43 years old.
The cost of living in Little Silver is higher than the national average but still quite reasonable when compared to other places in New Jersey. Housing costs are higher than average with the median home value being around $531,000. Rent prices are also higher than average with one bedroom apartments averaging around $1,400 per month and two bedroom apartments averaging around $1,650 per month. Utilities can be more expensive than other places as well due to the fact that Little Silver has its own electrical utility company that charges higher rates than many other companies around the country.
Transportation costs are also quite reasonable as there are multiple public transportation options available such as buses and trains that can take you into New York City or other nearby towns for reasonable fares. In addition to public transportation options, there are also plenty of taxi services available for those who need them. Overall, living costs in Little Silver may be slightly more expensive than other areas but they are still quite affordable compared to many parts of New Jersey or even some parts of New York City itself
For population 25 years and over in Little Silver
- High school or higher: 96.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 60.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 22.0%
- Unemployed: 2.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 34.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Little Silver borough
- Never married: 17.2%
- Now married: 70.4%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 6.3%
- Divorced: 5.1%
5.8% Foreign born (2.6% Europe, 1.4% Asia, 1.2% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +464 (+8.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Little Silver:
- RIVERVIEW MEDICAL CENTER (about 3 miles; RED BANK, NJ)
- REHAILITATION HOSPITAL OF TINTON FALLS (about 4 miles; TINTON FALLS, NJ)
- MONMOUTH MEDICAL CENTER (about 5 miles; LONG BRANCH, NJ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Little Silver:
- PORT AUTH-DWNTN-MANHATTAN/WALL ST (about 26 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: JRB)
- NEWARK LIBERTY INTL (about 26 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Abbreviation: EWR)
- JOHN F KENNEDY INTL (about 28 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: JFK)
Other public-use airports nearest to Little Silver:
- MONMOUTH EXECUTIVE (about 12 miles; BELMAR/FARMINGDALE, NJ; Abbreviation: BLM)
- OLD BRIDGE (about 21 miles; OLD BRIDGE, NJ; Abbreviation: 3N6)
- LAKEWOOD (about 21 miles; LAKEWOOD, NJ; Abbreviation: N12)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Little Silver:
- MONMOUTH UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; WEST LONG BRANCH, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 4,613)
- BROOKDALE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 6 miles; LINCROFT, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 7,533)
- CUNY KINGSBOROUGH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 19 miles; BROOKLYN, NY; Full-time enrollment: 9,902)
- CUNY COLLEGE OF STATEN ISLAND (about 20 miles; STATEN ISLAND, NY; Full-time enrollment: 8,135)
- BETH MEDRASH GOVOHA (about 21 miles; LAKEWOOD, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 2,823)
- CUNY BROOKLYN COLLEGE (about 22 miles; BROOKLYN, NY; Full-time enrollment: 10,079)
- CUNY MEDGAR EVERS COLLEGE (about 24 miles; BROOKLYN, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,264)
Public high school in Little Silver:
- RED BANK REG HIGH (Students: 1,180; Location: 101 RIDGE ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Little Silver:
- POINT ROAD (Students: 455; Location: LITTLE SILVER POINT ROAD; Grades: KG – 04)
- MARKHAM PLACE (Students: 371; Location: MARKHAM PLACE; Grades: 05 – 08)
Private primary/middle school in Little Silver:
- VINCENT S MASTRO MONTESSORI AC (Students: 104; Location: 36 BIRCH AVE; Grades: PK – 5)